Friday, May 6, 2011

The Plan

I realized today that if I lost about 30 pounds in the next three months or so, I'd be about the same weight I was when I graduated from high school just in time for my 30th high school reunion.

So I'm going to go for it! And I'm hoping that if I blog about it here, I'll be extra motivated to have good things to report in case someone happens to read it. I'll probably write really boring updates, like exercise and weight loss reports.

Initially my focus will be on getting ready for a 5k run at the end of May. I'd really like to run the whole thing. So my plan is to do a 3.8 loop six days a week until then. Initially I'll walk it Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and build up to running the whole loop on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

I started this past Monday and have met my goal so far. I'm only running about a mile of it so far (including both of the uphill stretches) because I don't want to push too hard too fast, but I'm feeling optimistic.

Here's my current benchmark: Yesterday I walked/ran the 3.8 loop in one hour, averaging just under 16-minute miles. Today I walked but didn't time myself, especially after stopping to chat with some neighbors. Tomorrow I hope to run a larger portion of the loop and shave 5 minutes off my time. Sunday I will rest.

By this time next week I expect my muscles will be up for more (i.e., not aching like they are a little bit while I'm writing this), and I'm hoping to be up to two miles running. I'd like to be up to three miles within two weeks so I have a week to train the full run. Okay, I'm feeling a little less optimistic now. But I'm still going to go for it. What's the worst that can happen? I'll have to walk the 5k? No problem!

1 comment:

  1. Margy - read "The Six-Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle," by the Eades. I've dropped inches in the last seven weeks, all thanks to what they explain in that book. They're doctors who have worked for decades with metabolism, heart disease, weight. They really opened my eyes to some things. You're a book girl - give this one a look=see. It's really kind of amazing.

    ReplyDelete